Friday, July 15

MTB Nationals Idaho - Ain't Buck

Nope I didn't go to Nat's in Idaho. Jack Hinkins got second in U23! Nice timing. Jake was there and had a respectable finish. Can't wait to hear about it.

Guess I'm boring but I only get away with so many trips a year. Too many trips & I get the betty crocker rolling pin accross the knoggun effect. Hurts. I hope Amy don't read this or I'll get it anyway.

So it's 10 for Buck series this year, 11 if you count the MMS series race. Call me crazy but I enjoy every Buck night. Duncan made it to each race with me. That's fun in itself. The grab the gear and go after work ritual, set. We also have other rituals like stop at gas station so D-Man can get his cookies. The rush down south not so bad now. The atmosphere on-site always great. The course always awesome training. This week the course was tacky fast, yet bumpier from the prior series race. There was a band. There was vendors. Swag, you bet! Fireworks show!!! There was good talk and the weather was NOT hot. Just a bit humid. All good.

I better replace the cleats, my foot popped out twice after the starting gun (that gun was loud!). Guse was behind me thinking I'd be a good follow but quickly learned of my challenging start. He yelled, "come on Heath!" I finally got it going better and started up the grassy hill in the teens again. Guess that's my game nowadays. Up the grassy climb I passed a few. I noticed a mystery man hammering 3rd chasing Brendan and Jesse. He was my goal.

Start of lap 2 I got by Luke, Dan, and a few others. Fast forward the spinning. Start of lap4 I was finally closing in on mystery dude. But Brendan Bellow gave me a scare. Brendan was closing the gap to me fast at start of lap4. Nice. I thought his good day effort may catch me....he was close...we we're both closing in on mystery dude. I put the gas on pretty hard up the grassy climb. Then up tar climb gave it up and made sure to keep it on until over the crest. That momentum actually bridged me to mystery dude. Wow! I asked him what happened, he said nothing. I stayed with him but once in the open switchbacks I saw him big ring it away. The whole race I was amazed at his slow cadence speed. Made me miss the big ring. Anyway I ended 4th. I tried.

Mystery man Mark I spoke to him briefly, he's from MA, nice guy. Check out his accomplishments here or at USA cycling. It's always interesting when a roadie can actually tear it up enough in dirt. I find it intersting when a stranger comes and tears it up. Like Bryson Perry who showed up to Penn Buck race #3. I remember his name from leadville. Anyway glad Fisher showed up to make sure he ended 4th at our local. I was that mystery man once. On business in Austin, TX I ended 2nd in Pro and overall. It was a muddy course not many showed but got $106 cash payout, good times. DuLac, you bet.

No comments: