Hillside was another hot one. My Dad raced again, said he felt good. He finished before sport. But no pics of him up yet. My Dad summed it up well saying, Richie really knows how to run a race. It goes off like clockwork, course is marked well, really organized, it's fun, prizes great too. I won an ipod.
Duncan continues to get faster.... He had a good race. He went for gears on 29'er again this time. I have a few pics below thanks to Todd skinnyski.
While out supporting D-Man in the woods I saw Dana. Dana and I both had bug spray on with deet but it didn't help. Wow these photopeeps go through the thick to get pics of us. I'd be sore from all those special photo taking stances not to mention the schlepping, skeeters and Sun. Yeah Todd Bauer with skinny ski and Dana (Dana was already tired from a few wedding shoots but still provides).
Expert/Pro Race: Single speed. I haven't put gears on the Niner yet. Not sure I ever will. My results at Cheq100, Cheq40, RedWing, DuLac, many more and now Hillside pretty much suggest gears not needed. With preferred start I got off the line first. My goal was to get a good enough gap up front to hold my place...to my surprise that effort worked. Just like DuLac (because of the heat) I think everyone went out slower. Lucky- I can get out of the gate first often. I hamster spun the single around the start corners and down the road first. To my surprise when I looked back just before road exit and onto climb, I had a 30ft+ gap on everyone.
Up the prolouge climb I led the field to the top! Only Brendan went by before top. The downhill and road was totally a blur. I remember seeing Brendan rocket away when we got to the road. I chased Devin, then Barry and Eric's wheels loosing every one. Again to my surprise I hit the beginner loop single track in 5th. One guy went by on beginner section downhill (he flatted soon after). SKJ took an inside line on a grassy corner and nearly knocked me off my bike. I wobbled my front wheel to stop from falling and almost clipped his pedal. Spokes into pedal at that speed would have been a bad crash for both of us. Earlier I actually heard his weeds into hidden rocks OTB at top of prologe climb. SKJ's claims Devin cut his way forcing him off. He was still a freaking charger to catch leaders when he hit me. All good I guess. I should have had my elbows out.
The effort to stay with the front was a big effort yet it felt ok so I kept the pace. I got by Barry early in lap. I chased SKJ and Devin for a while until SKJ crept away. Owen was heard and then seen behind chasing for near two laps. I can't recall but think we went back and forth a few times talking a bit too. Kevin who was on my wheel earlier chasing Barry crept back up to Owen and I, with Barry in tow. I let Barry and Owen go by as early efforts and the heat made legs feel full(and hot). I later chased them and eventually got by Owen(on his ss too) ending 8th behind Devin. Good times!!! I'm never satisfied but happy with 8th. The field was stacked pretty good.

P.S. go to Buck Hill this Thursday 8/4 for the last race. It's also a benefit for the Andrew Morris family. A fellow racers family going though tough times. A very sad story, toddler with terminal cancer. more here

3 comments:
Get longer seat post for niner and D-Man can ride it... Ha.
He missed his op and went for pug instead. Sweet. Start driving twins fan. Duluth mud awaits. No skid'n.
Nice recap Heath.
Post a Comment