Sunday, August 28

Minneapolis Duathlon post Camping trip

FAMILY CAMPING TRIP: Tuesday to Saturday the whole family headed up to Walker Mn area (not too far from Maplelag actually). Kind of cool to be up north many days then come back to the big city for a huge duathlon the next day. More on the Minneapolis-Duathlon below. Back to family trip first. We found this resort that has two camp spots and about 20 cabins. We pop-up camper'd. It's a great place as the row boats, kayaks, and canoe's are use at will. Fishing was great, 28 kids running around all swimming to the dock and enjoying Summer. Mom and Dad had fun too! We had lots of fun family time. One day we biking on the trail 8 miles to the next town for lunch. Alta wasn't too happy but we all made it. One day I showed Duncan the roadie style pulling him 10 miles one way on mountain bikes on path. It was the first time I've done steady state road type miles for two months. Duncan never did it before. He said he didn't like it much but funny how he basically hammered the next day doing it again in spurts on aforementioned family ride.

MINNEAPOLIS DUATHLON: http://www.minneapolisdu.org/race-day/results 5km run, 18 mile bike, 5 km run again. I did much better this year. I took 8 minutes off my total time!!! This year my transition times we're 3 minutes total instead of 6. That's the time between running and biking. This year no shaking bottles, goo or tying shoe laces! My runs we're 7-8 min per miles instead of 8 & 9 minutes. AND surprisingly my BIKE time was 3 minutes faster with average speed over 22 miles an hour vs. last year at 21mph(no drafting allowed).

Biking hurts a bit after running when your suck at running. Overall I placed close to 130th of 1,400. Last year close to 200th overall. That includes women who are pretty fast. I'm pretty happy especially since I didn't run outside once (like last year). In fact other than early Summer speed tread mill efforts I quit running many months ago (just like last year). Also felt like this year did much less commuting and road miles mid summer.....and my racing shows it as of late. I burnt the race don't train match about a month ago. But I signed up so it was time to step up. Glad I didn't wimp out. I'm re-invigorated for CX season..... Maplelag next.
Oh wait. Last minute note. Yes another topic. Look what I got in the mail. Nice gear guide pictured below.......I do miss it so I buy the mag........if I lived in the mountains again duathlon would NOT be in my vocab... there I go whining again. I got it pretty good. Like I always say, "can't have it all."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gonna get a real fork on the orange bike so you can roll the pimpy disc 29" wheels for CX?

HEATH said...

I have a cx fork to match but disc is for heavy forkers. Fork for sale!