Tuesday, August 16

Afton 24hr Attitude

Afton 24. I know it's called Salsa now but to me it will always be Afton 2 4. I was interested in winning the 2-man but my real "attitude" was ensure Duncan had fun. I promised myself I wouldn't push, stress or be a jerk. It was worth it.

Reese(now angry catfish) and Matt killed it. Killer "attitude" from the start. I thought tortoise and hair might work. But the 17yr olds didn't sleep. Duncan and I had a great time so met my top goal. Talking about "attitude." Zilla wanted fastest lap and proved. He must have been flying on those downhills and around those corners. Rocks and dirt were a flying for sure. Earlier this year TJ at Afton race averaged 30min laps for 4 without manhandler. Richie lap close to 34m with manhandler and DLA added!! = "Attitude." How does Z roll so fast?

Z training food. Grease. Z attitude, it's all downhill.

Anyway the work week and family chores left me packing late Thursday and Friday AM. Shopping for food etc etc. We arrived Friday afternoon and we set up. Lot's of bike work was needed!!!! I removed a cassette off one wheel and put it on another, Duncan's bike (my black Misfit.) 1x8. I removed the crown race on the Reba still on and un-touched since Cheq100. Put shock on his bike with disc brake. I borrowed a wheel with a 160mm disc and spacered in a 21t cog for my bike. Finally I put tubeless tires on here and there to complete 2 singles and a 1x8. Anyway the bikes works great! If that wasn't enough. I proceeded to stay up Friday until 1:00am keeping company with the bad company. No worries I was up and ready Saturday AM.

The LeMans start was a long uphill run with a your front wheel in hand. Duncan had a 30ft gap all the way up then Richie passed him. Duncan still came in second back around to the bikes. Really weird start idea but fun to watch Duncan run.

Not sure what else to say. Course was slippery then got tacky, it rained a bit but it was welcome in the afternoon heat. At night it was thick fog, like droplets floating. The vibe was fun. The guy on the top of manhandler was abnoxious. Course mainly tacky. Our camper was a mess. Duncan left food and food containers open and all over. I for some strange reason just kept cleaning and maintaining lights and happy attitude...it was awesome. We had a good time. My butt was thrashed halfway through, I got bad shorts with terrible seems that rash my cheeks (overshare I know). Anyway, it was a nice break from ripping 13 Buck races and 7 MN series races. I'm trying to take a break and revive for maplelag and especially CX. I'll just race.....I mean ride for fun. September all CX practice. No real training plans, just race and ride back into shape.......maybe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job DMAN

Anonymous said...

Yew Too OLMAN

Anonymous said...

Movie starring Dman with GoPro in production.

HEATH said...

My Dad put the go pro on D-man, so we'll have a full vid of the 24 course.

Above. Compliments come in many forms don't they??