Monday, July 17

MNSCS #6 Red Wing

It was a fine day for a HOT and HUMID race. Temps we're in the 90's, there was a mix of clouds, sun and little rain. I could say the Wednesday ride of 5 hours in 90' weather affected me, but not so much....been working up to 5 hrs all year. My strategy for Comp race was to get to the woods first to enable expert passing opps before others. Once in woods, pedal at a reasonable pace then determine heat and competition factors. Getting to the woods first, mission accomplished. The heat was scream'n. I decided to lay off sooner than later. Lap one I saw Bart, Corey and many others 30 seconds off or right on my butt for a while. Cool, it was a race!!! Lap 1, a third complete, Corey passed with a convincing speed, actually took me by surprise. I caught him bit later and decided to counter right away, didn't see Corey again but he finished strong. On the second lap, just before the quarry Truman snuck in fast. He must have been flying through that meadow to catch me and time the pass. I chased but as we exited the quarry climb he was gone. Very fast, very nice move. Bart caught me and stuck with me most of lap three and passed middle of lap 3, I gave a weak attempt to chase. From there it was a lonley lap 3. Mark caught me middle of lap 4. I was cheering him at the start of lap 4 as I saw him coming for a while. Funny thing was when he caught me on the big hill, he passed then slowed up. I think the cruise control paid off. I stood up, flew by and was off again. The rest of lap 4 went quite easily. Now I know why the water folks we're cheering me to go go go, I was withing seconds of Bart. I pedaled slowly to the finish with Duncan running beside me. I told the water guy, spray him! Done. 3rd overall at 1 hour 50 minutes. Can't complain. Duncan had a great race. He was in second most of the race and didn't know it until he was passed by an age groupie. Once that happened he countered and drove home second in convicing fashion. Right on. Nice work in the heat little man!! Next Buck Hill - then Leadville. Later!!! Red Wing Citizen start video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3071845262592617138 Red Wing Start Pictures: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/heath4143/albums/

No comments: