Sunday, July 9

MNSCS #5 Mt. Kato "WIN"

Start of Mt. Kato Comp Race Duncan and I headed out Saturday afternoon and headed to Mt. Kato. We pulled the pop-up camper, camped, had a campfire and a swell time Saturday eve. Oh, and Wal-Mart saved the day with $8.48 sleeping bags!! First, let's recap Duncan's race day. He placed 2nd again behind Shea. He said he felt better & thinks he's getting closer... His chain came off twice over the cassette top, into the spokes, and once in front. Hmmm, I better get the hammer out again and fix. One time it was really bad where an adult rider helped untangle for him. Thanks. Also, Duncan was bragging about his over-the-bars, land on his feet trick. Glad it all worked out, no injury, another race completion!! The Comp race was, well, I won it. That's right!! 1st place overall Comp. Unreal. Since this is my race log and diary of sorts I'll do a play by play. I went hard out of the gate but not for gold. This is starting to work for me. I was 2nd and then 4th but forced myself back into 2nd again at top of first climb. Then through prolouge and up again remained 2nd behind Tom T. By mid lap two I caught/passed Tom at the top & headed down torward backside lifts. Both Mike & Tom we're reeling me in on the bottom flats. On the climb up we were 1,2,3. I was leading & rolling up slow, thinking about the two more laps ahead. Neither of them challenged. Once above the staircase I noticed Tom & Mike started to fall off, so I pushed it hard. At the start of lap three it was Mike & I. Mike challenged and took the lead, but I caught him & passed him at the top. Mike & I stayed 1,2 all the way back to the staircase. At the staircase Mike said he had hamstring issues & had to fall off. I told him 3rd place was coming and then proceeded to hammer it up feeling darn good. On the start of lap 4 both Mike & Tom were in sight below. With that, I went a bit harder and started to gap them more. I finished 1st overall w/ Tom about 30 seconds behind. Mike had more cramping & ended 4th. I'm thinking the endurance training for Leadville is paying dividends in overall strength and fuel smarts. I have a whole new ability to recover during the race. Perhaps race strategy changes are helping too, hmmm need to evaluate all of this for a few days....still evaluating... Red Wing is next.

No comments: