What can I say, i don't even deserve to eat food today. Here's the story what I saw and did, heard, and know. Got to Cable 1:00PM Friday set up pop-up camper, rode Namekogen and Rock Lake & R.L. road with Eddie. Got back did dinner at Lakewoods, saw the typical scene. Low key, good peoples.
At the start line I knew Marko, Owen, Jon, Todd Mc, Charlie T, Ryan H, Tim Ek we're all capable. Besides Marko, i knew Owen and Jon had the fastest short race legs but not sure about distance. Down the gravel road I stayed up front to avoid gravel road crashes..so i thought. Owen, Jon, Marko and I led for a while. Cool at least 3 single speeds are controlling the pace to start. I knew it wouldn't last.
After first climb I could tell my day was not setting up strong. A few pulls by various geared bikers picked up the pace. Then Larry flew by, ha! Owen said what I was thinking, "thanks Larry." We knew it would happen. Go go SS hamster wheels go. Long story short, I yo yo'ed off the lead pack of 25 not feeling the best. Then a crash happened in that pack as I was yo'ed back. I spotted a path around on the other side of the hill. Immediately after uphill crash the woods entry could then be seen. I counted about 12 riders ahead of me.
My plan was to ride comfy on single track. I can do that even with limited endurance training. i worked up and eventually could see the leaders at times on namekagen. The race wasn't settled yet. I made it to 5th place trading with Charlie (1st place last year). I eventually let him go in rock lake hilde area. I was in 7th on rock lake road and it stayed like that for a long time. Yet, I was feeling more pain and cramps in my thighs coming. Felt like duathelon soreness, that dang second run of the year.
I had lots of room as no one was coming in sight. Long story short by mile 40 was in 10th. My legs felt like mile eighty. Larry and Dave went by as I stood at mile 40. I decided to go on to Fish Hatchery. I shouldn't have, but had to see if things would come around. Nope. Guess I can't do a 100 miles on just my good looks. I have the motor but leg belts should have been changed (hello like more distance training).
Marko won it. Owen and Jon killed it on their SS's 2nd and 3rd (Owen declined my interview request), then Ryan 4th. Tim got lost reading his garmin upside down. Larry ended near top 10. Jeremy finished his 1st real race. I saw Charlie Tri going the wrong direction before mile 40 (going home). Todd McFadden got many flats. Former leadville winner Bryson Perry won the 99'er by the way. Georgia Gould almost won a world cup this weekend.
My friend who's eyes went out can see again. Whew. That was scary. Eddie reported that a different bud cut his leg good and needed stiches. Lil Dave's heart was spasn out. I heard a guy was looking for his tooth on the trail (now pointy tooth). I got phone report from another bud that separated his shoulder at the 99'er. What is this world coming too!! I think I made the right decision as I'll be stronger than if I kept going.
Oh, the race was awesome and it was a few days of great riding. The organizers are awesome and put on a great event. My garmin didn't help, again. I learned again in trees g-mans don't work. First off Garmin can't get location well and give up on route following. Also the garmin will pick up location in pulses, not constant, that's why garmins always come up short on distance. Example an arcing turn ends up being a stop sign shape from the garminn's point of view. Garmins cut corners.
That's all I got. My goal is to start amping up the training. It will be tough because work is demanding 4 5-day weeks out of town soon! Next Summer I get revenge. For now just fun. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I completely share your view points when it comes to this topic. I thought I was the alone who maneuver such a thinking process. But yeah finally I have got a company. Let’s search more on this and share over her. What say??
Post a Comment