Monday, June 4

Kato Classic Habits

Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie in Process!
Pretty sure I've raced Kato 7 times in 8 years. Always a good time. Funny a few weeks ago I raced long sleeve at Afton. But Kato was cooler than normal. Felt hot but it wasn't that hot for Kato.

So Grey Squirrel (Grandpa aka Rocky :) and Flying Squirrel (Leo) hit first showdown race in the AM. Grey got 2nd. Flying finished another after day before hiking many miles with scouts pack.

Sqrl Jr. and Sqrl of the Red hit the 1:00PM+ races. Jr. (D-Man) with 2 bucks and a Kato finished another race SS. No really he's been on the bike all year just those three times!!

My race went well. I was 3 minutes faster than last year. Brendan only 2 minutes faster than last year. But the field was stacked. So I was 12 not 11th like last year. Just 10 minutes off the lead isn't bad. It sure was nice to race the rigid carbon niner instead of the shocked up aluminum frame. Extra large Schwable Ralphs to Furious Freds tires lightened the tool. The Bike was a rocket.

Off the start I hit first corner in good spot. Owen and a few took an inside inside line. Up the climb I went as slow as possible fading back to 15th?  I heard it was chaos but my climb was good/reasonable pace. At the top I passed a few every lap sometimes getting caught quickly around frog pond with my easy SS gearing. It was a fun race because I saw/raced Barry, Charlie, Jake, Sam, Kevin, Owen, etc also Devin and Micheal McB not too far ahead. Laps 2 and start of 3 I burnt some matches flying past a few instead of pacing on by. I also created gaps only to be closed spinning the single. But the climbing gear/bike was grand. Did i mention my bike was 16.5lbs rigid instead of 23.5lbs used at prior Buck race (that's 7lbs lighter!).

Anyway I settled the pace during 3rd lap and rode comfy hard the rest of the race. I could see Owen and Kevin then Devin and Michael ahead but decided, let it be. I played it safe because I liked my chances of finishing strong. No one was coming so the race was very enjoyable. Oh Sam O and I rode together for a while. That was fun. He did a big run or tri race the day before and even not biking as much this year was having fun.
Recovery Ever Ready
Considering the mellow training regime I'm liking my fitness progress. The schedule we keep running the three kids around through life is crazy. Yet...I find just enough time, just recovered from some big efforts and will have another push this weekend before rolling it downhill to the Cheq100 race. Wahoo!

P.S. Series pictures found here Todd Bauer's.    Results: Race results

No comments: