Monday, June 6

Kato Hot Confusing 5 lbs Trebuchet

Weekend report. Race report below too (confusing results at first).

SATURDAY went fishing with Leo. Jack took us to a secret lake to get sunburned on. We caught 3 big pike, one got away. Saw a big bass and caught many sunnies too(thanks Uncle Jack for the filets). Leo caught and reeled in the biggest 5lbs fish! I got a bit burnt on the legs from sitting in canoe. Had sunscreen just didn't put on. I don't like to see dudes legs so i'll spare you the pic. Saturday afternoon and eve spend with Duncan building a trebuchet for school. We also changed out and geared easier for Sunday's DuLac race.
Mt Kato was Typical hot. The field was loaded too. Duncan had a pretty good start but I could tell he was suffering a bit. Lap two he says he went slow. I cheered. Lap three coming up the hill to our umbrella support station he was hammerring pretty good. He placed mid field in Sport which is actually better than he did last year. Sounds like he wants gears and my medium Misfit frame for Afton. Next he'll want my new bike!

My Expert/Pro race went well. Winning times since 08' excludiung last years mud alteration have been 137/139 to 141min. My best time was 148.5 in 2009. This Sunday was dry, gravely and early season hot. Winning time arguably 1 min slower. I finished about 153m and ended 11th, my best rank finish at Kato Ex/Pr. I wasn't feeling it for most of the race. I felt overgeared on dry gravely heat, maybe still recovering from Cheq100? But I shouldn't bitch, I had a good result and held off many. Lap by lap to the best of my cooked memory.....

Lap1- good start. 7th or so up entry hill. I went by H-wood, Jesse past me, then I held good for a start. Later after frog pond and heading down I saw Devin ahead getting back on (he bumped off Scott I hear). The rest of the lap I hammerrrrred to stay away from Barry, Dave, Owen, Joshua, and about 7 guys!!! I think Owen went by at end of lap before mad squirrel, he is riding steady and strong on the SS (go Catfish bro). That lap hurt and had mucho stress.

Lap 2- Brutal attempt to stay ahead of aforementioned group. My water bottle popped out early in lap. Lips smacking worry was i. I felt overgeared. Sluggish at entry and tops of hills - Barry was applying pressure with his SS. We may have went back and forth once. Before stairway 5 guys we're behind my sluggish SS. Iwas able to hold. Blurry hot day! Later in lap 2 Dave and I separated a bit group, whew! I saw Jake charging up. Dave passed but I got by at start of lap 3 top of climb.

Lap 3- Jake was on me! The rest we're finally fading back, whew again!! At start of lap 4 Jake got by. And I thought I'd catch at top of climb like i did to Dave. But I had to "drink alot of fluids" at Duncan's umbrella stand before charging and could not catch. I follwed Jake for half a lap or more before loosing sight.

Lap 4- I think i still saw Jake but could not bridge. Matt Kurke was coming fast!! All of lap 4 in frantic fashion i held off Matt working through traffic. I saw Devin on flats below stairway climb, I could not muster enough  to catch at that point. Did I say it was hot?

Lap 5- my stairway and backside climbing frenzy worked to keep Matt back. I think I passed Peter O'Donnell in the process? I finished with room (it took all race to get to a conforatable position!!!)

My name was not on the results board. I checked with timing shack they said I was 10th, they we're paying 10 deep. WaHoo! But alas Scott got called up and I didn't as they we're paying only 9 deep? In the end I rank 11th. All good for one of the old guys. My gear was 34x19 and the other guys had 32x19. The race was almost as hot as Buck 2010 felt. Not as bad as some Red Wing races though!

Sunday after race Duncan and I ate Mexican. Sunday night sat outside and ate again with family. Nice weekend!!!    See you at Buck.    -H-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that jack with the fish?

Looks like kojak...

Bald Pirate?

Who can't mount schwbles to stans... Me now scart.