Duncan, being my size now used my Misfit with 1x8. I basically set it up mid-week. I added a paul chain keeper, the one cassette wheel I own(old americlassic laced to open pro rim, my cx lace job), 8 spd cassette, shifter and vawalla. With schedules he rode it with 5 minutes of test ride. I was a bit surprised with my hachanicle skills. He said the bike worked great. He scored 3rd in age and about 25th oa sport class. Wahoo.
With weather shaping up to be dry (so I gambled) I knew the downpour of prior day would not effect Afton too much. The furious fred tires kicked ass. Never slipped. Ralph's would have been next. So after throwing on the 32 up front my SS was good at 32x19, the gear worked last year too. I almost put the shock on the front but my hachanicle bank account of time funds exhaused the desire. Too busy. Rigid it was....good choice!
PRO/ELITE RACE from my SEAT:
Lap1- I hamster spun into woods about 15th. I was able to see Jake, Scott chasing leaders going up Shady. I saw Matt going for them but held my cool passing 3-4 guys in comfort through lap. SS gear felt right. Owen out with issue lap1. Too bad by flow it seemed like we we're going to team up.Lap2- A bit of a battle. SKJ farther, Matt then Trevor and Nathan near just ahead, Barry, Kevin "the thumb" Ish, and Bellow chasing or in sight behind at times. Went back and forth with Trevor and Nathan I think (got past them for good L2 & early L3).
Lap3- Tempurature brutal. Sweating non-stop breathing so hard with climbs. SKJ pulled off and died before Cliffs climb. I was keeping distance between myself and a small pack. I kept steady and fought the tempation to wimp in the HEAT. It felt like Buck Hill interval training and a suana non stop. Kept drinking. Kept thinking like Buck, long haul like Cheq100 I can do this. Got past Matt on Shady (took a while to get him). Hammerred the last big climb of lap with all I had to separate before lap4 start.
Lap4- The end of lap3 separation effort worked. I shook the chasers for good. I saw them but was comfy too far ahead for them to catch. I just wanted to pull ahead more so I could rest. After cliffs edge, I went easier and finished 7th overall on the SS. Devin gives me crap for prop'n myself (as he should), but I'm good at making a fool of my old self. It was a hard race day and I'm a happy cat.
After the Race- I found my super crewman D-Man grabbed a cold coke and wobbled my bike towrad shady lane. The wind as I pedaled at 4 mph and the cold coke we're sublime. I got off bike at far chalet and felt woozy. What a great feeling, sitting in shade leaning against the chalet, drinking my coke, wondering if I'd pass out..all good.
After my coke, bananna, water, and more water, a few beers went down so right. Duncan and I chatted it up with folks at race, hanging with ACF, wandering the grounds. Found out Kevin mangled his thumb and kept racing. A few kids got hurt earlier AND a guy broke/separated his arm on funky podium falter. Bummer!
The night was good with the whole fam going to grey sqrls house (my Dad's). Hey my mom needs a code name! Later. P.S. latest Dirt Rag has spotlight on gravel grinders with ALMANZO highlighted.
3 comments:
You didn't mention your drama at the start line. Way to put in a great race on a tough day! Now let's just get you on some decently large tires.
That was from me, that username was way outdated!
Cheers. Yeah the start thing, whatever, sillyness. Had to laugh it off. I forgot to mention my new helmet courtesy of Catfish fit great! Unless rain in forecast going bit bigger tire for the Wing for many reasons.
Post a Comment