Monday, September 20

Plus Three Minus One Cheq

Chequamegon 40 ReCap:

  • AMY (Momma Sqrl) raced the S & F 16, won the Womens SS division. CT was second. They podium again. In years past there was more than 10 SS F's. This year they we're all scart. Nice finish time momma!
  • STEVE (Grey Sqrl) also raced the S & F and did well again. Go grandpa still tearing it up rolling 29'er. Look out 70+ 2011 category.
  • Duncan (Sqrl Jr.) you got it. S & F. At 15 he hauled pretty good at 14.5mph to score top 85. His rigid 29'er worked great and he is pumped. How many years do I have left in the lead??
  • My Race (ARS Angry Red Squirrel) I finished and that's what really counts!! My bike was dirty, not prepped & without the love I deserved the long day. I will say Momma's and D-Man's bikes worked like a charm thank you very much (they matter most). Honestly my race plans we're in the air until Thursday. That's when Alta and Leo had transport /supervision lined up.

SO off the start it seemed easy, felt good. A slow pavement lead out to rosies this year. I had gears for a change. Up rosie's and in felt ok, sorta painful but not too bad. Later into the trail I noticed others around breathing really hard. I was not. I amped it up and found myself trading places with Jenna, Nikoli, Dave O, and other familiar faces. I decided it was a good place to settle. Sara KJ was around and really gunning for Jenna. Fun to see. It was Nikoli and I with Dave ahead Sara back a bit I think. Then BAM the dirt single track was NOT the line. I double rimmed both wheels harder than I ever remember. I was flying on a shallow downhill and just didn't see it coming. 5 miles in I slowed down to look as I was sure I double flatted...not yet. But 100ft later rear flat. Tubeless tire wouldn't hold air as rim wall was bent, not enough stans. Risk realized. But D-Man's and Momma's bikes worked I tell ya!!

Anyway, tube in was off to the races looking to make up 5 minutes in a recless way. It was mile 5? Soon after flat again!! Tube out, wiping off stans, could not find hole. Later with sandpaper and patch kit started patching a hole, then another. Then I started twisting the tube to help determine where more holes we're. The scenery changed....riders changed, alot. Variety. At that point it was heck no I will finish. I saw the sweep crews starting to pass. A nice fellow gave me a tube! Nice. I hammered a good pace racing and drafting no one. No one wanted a ride on the train, I swerved as safe as possible holding a pace. To OO I was 30 minutes slower. OO to finish 8 minutes slower than year before....finished 3hrs 4minutes with one bee sting on neck and sticking freewheel to boot (SS next year). Highlight was the 2 foot plus deep puddle, glad I didn't drown! All good, this race wasn't my A goal. Not sure what my goal was this late summer. Still coasting through the last half of the XC season... Next year another age group class, or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fall = Turn anger into collection of nuts for long winter of motor boatin.

No DNF = +8