Saturday, September 26

SS STATE - MY EYE - 2 FLAT - CAPTIAN

2 races for me, 1 for Duncan. I'll start with my 1:00PM Elite Race, which was after the 11:00AM SS State race. Well it wasn't my race. In fact theres a cyclocross race on Sunday. Thanks Revolution, Kyia and all!!! OK, back to expert race. At start I spun the 32x17 gearing then began reeling in geared racers like last year hoping to end 7th? like last year? HA, not a chance. Leaking air in my rear WTB velocoraptor I used CO2 near start of lap2, no help.... Then partially in woods took tire off & pre-inflated my spare tube to find a leak in the new tube! Plastic baggie didn't protect in saddle bag I guess. So I ran back to the car grabbed my wheel from the 36x17 AM set-up ran back to bike & installed on 32x17 PM bike. Sweet. Anyway, 3 laps later my 4 we're done. Caught many comp and a few expert racers for a back o pack finish. Oh yeah, i was fwapped by a leafy branch and my eye went fuzzy for a while. Wahoo... 11:00AM Single Speed State Champ Race.... I did a pre-lap and made it to the start line 1 minute before blast off...too close!! My goal was to hammer off the start with big gear to hit the woods first. In the past I noticed the competition performs worse if I lead. We'll, just one little problem. Brendan was there with 42x18 26'er vs. my 36x17 29'er, both stiff. Looks like my gear inches may have been stiffer. Still he has the motor. Nothing more to report other than I was slower in the woods but able to hammer the straight aways to hold off competition for 2nd place. Barry & Dave battled it out big time just behind me until taking each other out!! Cody was in the right place at the right time. Good times, 2 years of Champ can't complain. Honestly going in I told myself a podium would be cool. I had a feeling Brendan, Jack, or somebody would show to go for it. I would if i was them........ With pre-ride, 7 laps of somesort for me today!!!! Duncan although sick getting over a long lasting cold did well and secured 3rd overall for the year in his Sport age group class. Awesome!!!! With the rain I decided it was time to buy some real 29'er mud tires. The Specialized Captian 2bliss seemed good for the AM race. Click on pic. Actually, tubeless and fast rolling with big knobs, they rocked. So happy I picked up the 600 gram tubeless knobby tires, worked really well! Next Race in Austin TX after a customer visit. Maybe Lance will show.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your the Prez... Much more important in our world than being the champ...

Almost time to motorboat.

I think I may just keep this SS pain pill...

=8

Kyia said...

Cograt's on the Podium Heath! Thanks for coming up to Cloud Town and laying down 7 laps!! Sorry about the brush hitting you in the eye :(, It would be nice to get the prisoners out there for trail work.