Monday, July 30

Band-Aid or Gauze: Hillside State Race

I needed lots of Band-Aids and even Gauze after Hillside. Yeah, IT DON'T COME EASY! More on that later. First, shout out to D-Man. Duncan actually trained on the road bike three times and intern did good at Hillside. He got on podium 2nd in age and as it turns out 2nd in SS under 34.
< 34 Speed Podium Comp D-MAN!!
The drive up to Elk River I was thinking to myself, look at these cars move over funny like in front of me. I was thinking not a good sign. I dismissed the thought, but it came back. Hollywood and I both blame each other. I was going for the uber speed pass on the left side of road. Lots of room before angle off into power line climb. He looked back and saw me but perhaps didn't see me coming that fast. He merged into me I had no time to re-act, bars hooked, my front wheel lifted into his.

He landed on me as we went down hard. My worst crash ever. I blocked the gravel ground for him. It was loud. His shoe went flying. We didn't get run over. Owen got hung up put back to 20th but thankfully didn't ramp us. Thanks Owen, he finished 3rd even with another incident with Barry. What is with the day?

Anyway the crash hurt. My left side, knee, hip, arm, wrist and right knee are all messed up. Whatever, stuff happens as you go for the gold. Hollywood! Cuts sting, hip got knuckle punched, right calf hurt, other stuff would feel weird later, like the center of my foot was swelled in shoe. That facial expression people saw was anger, frustration and pain.

After straitening the bar on carbon niner fork by forcing (got it basically straight). Carbon forks make a weird shudder skipping noise when you force the bar straight. My right brake lever was cockeyed and felt funny and a bit sticky too. I decided to ride it off on course. I like Hillside, I'm gunna ride! T. Norrie was nice enough to stop and make sure we we're ok and encouraged us to go.
It took until after prologue then it was game on!!! I figured 5 minutes, I can catch many. Go! Unbelievable result. The pain made me go angry fast. I was back up to 6th talking with Dave, Dave and Devin by lap two power-line climb. I decided at that point to cool it a bit so I don't completely blow. Dave stuck on my wheel for a full lap until finally seeing me slow. He went by lap 3 top of power-line climb as I bottle hand up'ed. Joe was the only other rider to also pass me back in last lap. DFL to 8th. I'll take it!
 later

5 comments:

DMC said...

Damn nice of you to cushion hwoods blow.. Good way to fight back..

Anonymous said...

Did Hollywood finish? Get a pic on "Bloody Posts"!



Pie

Larry Sauber said...

Tri like self portait...

Angered squirl, i coined it.

HEATH said...

Right, seen the tri version said I would never post skin pic like that. I even thought about it and couldn't resist. Had to capture for my album.

There's a video! Wahoo. Good to be a kid still. Now I need to find a local pool to swim in with these wounds, like we all used to do. ha. Crazy, swimming pools cure everything. It's just a flesh wound monty it won't hurt no one.

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't develop any saddle sores for the photo album too.
Good job SQRl

Q