Wow! It's so easy to forget the Bucking pain of the garbage pile. Yep that little ski hill made of garbage really delivers a good time, and good dose of pain. A good dose of people digging life.
Below video captures the fun had biking the Buck. I particularly like 1 MINUTE 30 SECONDS in where a guy in blue/yellow jersey on left throws a duster up off the starting line. Gets the lead out. More on last nights version later. Fun to see kids growing up and people having fun, the vid is timeless but maybe needs update?
THE RUSH
So before race report I must share the family dynamic. Not unlike many. RUSH TO BUCK HILL. With 3 kids going in different directions Mom and I had to take two cars. I brought Alta. She picked Leo up from Golf and got him & friend to Buck w/bikes, on time, for beginner race. Duncan had school obligations, not sure how he got to school. rush. RUSH hour to Buck Hill !!
LEO WANTS IT
So Leo, being a little bigger now fits D-Mans ole Haro 13.5 inch alum. He's able to hammer a bit. He got 4th in beginner not far off 3rd. I hear he got the hole shot, or led out the race. Right on! Flying Sqrl, like Sqrl Jr., like Angry R.S...
THE BIKE
I busted out A9C Niner for the first time this year. In fact I haven't gone rigid this year yet either. Did a once over Wednesday including tightening the headset and peeling some duct tape off. After Buck pre-lap I taught the chain line and raised the seat a 1/4. The Niner still way lighter than Misfit felt nice. The Air9 still a pound+ heavy with Ralph, Captain tires and Powertap set-up. Wide bars and slightly different geo compared to othrer bike made for new feels. Rigid made my arms wake up even before race started. But I thought, this is my ride. I got this. FUNNY how the pre-lap is slow and cautious then race all balls out freaky fast. Nothing like a race to bring it.
ADVANCED RACE (it hurt so bad I gotta ramble):
Hanging out at the start line is always crazy. Hurry up and wait to get a spot (don't be the first guy to the line, not cool - be cool hurry up then wait) and then rush and get a spot! Ha Ha we're funny. I'm the funniest. I have that sprint, I want that line. SO OFF THE LINE my pedal came un-clipped, I had both un-clipped at one point. I learned over the years from race starts and river bottom log abuse etc, being clipped in don't matter. Spinning with out being clipped is way do-able. Just keep feet in the right area. I managed to zen, kept the hammer re-clip'n/centering on the up strokes. I got the hole shot and led the race. Silly stuff after not being on bike once since Saturday Hillside race. But hey, I'm a sprinter.
Brendan chose to finally pass at start of big grassy climb (tubing hill?). I remember looking back near top of tubing hill climb and seeing many rolling behind me. Once on tar a Jesse went by. With 34x18 gearing I was surprised I held his wheel across most of first traverse. The whole race thus far i felt red line ish. I couldn't catch myself. It was not good. Before the next traverse many went by. By start of lap two I was still 4th place I think.
Start of lap two on long traverse I was still in chase pack but let Brendan Bellow go by. Then I was in 7th falling to next chasers. Later in lap two Charlie Simacek and Mike P went by. Lap two sucked. I wanted to quit. I started making excuses...."I haven't been on bike since Saturday, Afton race on Sunday, this is painful". I saw John Sandberg, Wallace, Sauber all charging closing the gap to me. I thought they would get me. Then I felt an urge to compete. I woke up. John and I had many fun Thursday nights. Larry my bud and X-LCR mate would razz me if he beat me. Game on. Ride angry. I thought, top 10......race to lap traffic, race to lap traffic.
I held off that gang and saw aforementioned freewheel guys Charlie and Mike ahead. I pushed hard. Lap three I started to come back more. I wanted it. Mike gave a huge effort chasing. The best thing about Buck is you are gunna get challenged many times in a race. Some challenges really hurt. You gotta want it worse than the next guy. I ended 7th. Happy as heck to be old and getting fast again this year. Every year it takes a few Buck races....then I get my game. Yeah, you must embrace that Buck Pain!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment