Family race notes & tidbits, primarily mountain bike stuff.
Sunday, September 21
State SS Champ, SS Expert & Muffins
So what does the two time SS State Champ bake and eat the morning after? Everything! Including blueberry, strawberry and chocolate chip muffins. It can't be protien all the time, anything works. Warm muffins deserved, no? I'm beat after two races in a day. The expert course had plenty of new rock'n rock gardens. That ride back to Hayward in the rain justified. Biking to class Tues. & Thurs also good. Keeping legs opened up really helps. I went into races similair to Red Wing, heavey ride week. Finding time to keep "bikes" & "body" in shape is a trick!!SINGLE SPEED RACE: Off the gun Dave M. led us around the parking lot into the CC ski trail. Hwood, Charlie & I just followed. Later in prolouge I went to the front. At the end of the prolouge around parking lot Hwood stormed ahead ensuring he had lead for first lap. The two of us started gapping chasers. Somewhere way in the woods, wood had a yard sale. All good, now he followed. My goal was to hold on & lead second lap. Around parking lot put in a huge effort stayed in front. Hwood caught back up in woods, we gapped others big. Through 2nd lap upping pace and staying smooth was the goal. The two of us stayed together until last punchy climb. Before we got there I mentioned "I know what your planning". We chatted a bit. At the top of the hill I said, "I thought you we're going to cyclo-cross the hill". Hwood said he couldn't stop laughing. From there my lead increased. Win, second year in-a-row. Good race w/better competition. 34x17 on 29'er a little stiff for accelerating out of corners.. skinny ski!link 1link 2No-No.Na-OEXPERT w/SS: ....with previous race just an hour earlier my intent was start slower. Around the parking lot I was dead last of expert field. Then I started to pick off riders. Matt, Guse, Jack, Larry, Jeff, Another and later in second lap caught up to Jay, Jake and Barry. Barry was leading us through back sections, then Jay led. The pace was fast enough and at times wasn't sure if I'd hold on. Last year my legs didn't give as much output. I threw on the 34x18 combo for the expert race. It was much faster in the woods for me. Started to feel really strong again. Went with it, in short section before end of lap 2 hammered past the three. I yelled out "see ya soon" as my legs we're bound to give. I went hard to ensure my gap around parking lot to start lap 3. It worked. Amazingly my body and legs survived at constant Expert pace. 7th overall experts. 1st & only 40+'er out there. Unreal double race day!!!
5 comments:
Heath,
Great job on both of your races and a great season overall. Keep upt the awesome job. Hope to see you at some of the night and winter races.
Matt,
Congrats Heath! That's a big day at the races.
fl0mbe
Blah blah...
The real season is just beginning... You know the drill by now...
Can't wait for the Dec-Feb call outs... scurring in and out of cold wx gear... Motor boat season!
Good work on the repeat... Shutting the mouth up for a second year... Point from Ricoh!!!
Blogs are funny. Who say wha? WHO?
Did I blab to much, inherit a grudge by association.
Beat down farm style viva la Levis soon.
Infiltrate white woods this icey Winter, all good.
Keep rambling FG...
You are Ricoh's riddler on the web...
Getting a jumpstart on Levis... Red Squirl fashion... Another reason I came up with that handle...
Post a Comment