Monday, February 13

Hillside FatBikeFest Race#3

I had my studs handed to me. Out studded. Sick'nd studs in the mud. About my day later (who cares).

Oh I also added some Hillside history below (we'll fatbikefest history anyway).

HILLSIDE 2/12/2012.  A few pics of peeps.......  Sorry don't know every class and names. If you want a fullsize photo lemme know soon.     results here morc and here live timing
Advanced Skinny Tires

Jeff Colbert 2, Brendan Moore 1, Jim Jagalo 3

Good turnout for crappy ice conditions, beaut of a day though!

Skinny Intermediate

Where's me Lady Gaga? FAT Series Overall. I'm #1 again this time.
Dave Hoglund 2, Heath Weisbrod 1, Larry Sauber 3 



Kris Brazil 2, Martha Flynn-Kauth 1, Desta Meyer 3

The Wrong Stud Set-up for Fast
My day consisted of people looking at me before race and saying no fair, because I had studs on. I rode Thursday night, and at night with ICE, it was ssssslow. But way fun!!! I took out the old studded endo's from 09' to race. I thought without center line stud row they would be faster(jack beat me with better studs that year). Well, at slow speeds studs we're grippy. But race pace, they sucked. Slow in dirt too. It was painful. Gears sucked too. Other two races with dirt did SS Pug. Anyhow after being second to hole shot I got passed by 15 or more on the two lap prologue. Every one was saying you ok Heath? Alright sqrl? I kept saying think so. Antiboitics and perhaps a little sick still? Studs? Finally in section 4 I started reeling people in on fast icey downhills. Got to 8th place and saw Dave Hoglund not far up..

Lap two, I was working it pretty hard to stay away from Barry and Larry. In section four they caught me and asked to pass and if I was alright, I said I think so, and put in another big effort. I figured if I could at least make it to the top of section 4 I could scream a hot downhill section. It worked. I pushed up and down sec 4 pretty fast. The studs helped but rear tire without center line studs was sketchy for studs anyhow. In hindsight wish I would have tried the studs prior to race. Then I'd know light and super sketchy non-studs was better. Or lightly studded sharpies. My studs, with bolts had seen commutes, so not too sharp either. Hard to find time with family and all etc etc you know the drill.

So anyway I gaped Larry and Barry real good in section 4, they we're out of sight. But in final section 3, I was toast, they caught me. First Larry and later Barry near end of race. I ended 10th. It was still good enough for fatbike series overall win!! From what I hear I also won the hillside racer of the year with most points out of all the races. Traveling trophy coming. Sweet.

Speaking of trophies, Hillside is known to have some good ones. I have a few. Just got to hit it right. Artist produce the goods hit or miss. It was Hendrick's, Sue rules of late. That plus Hillside such a good time, big bonfire, stunts, people having fun, good prizes, cash, really.....that's why I keep going back. Plus the course is a nice challenge.

Speaking of trophy more, Jack. Where's the Fuji fixie (traveling Fatbike fest trophy?).


A little MN Fat History I know of.......
who had em first. i dunno. Here's a few. Dave Pramann, Goat, Hobs, Pirate, Zamboni, Stoner, Death Rider then Bob Shepard, John Lundell, Ted Weigandt.


Hillside FatBike Race History
2007 not sure who won the purple pride race, Goat, Hobs, Pirate, Zamboni, Stoner?
2008 I won fatbikefest & Series (Heath)
2009 Jack won fest with wrong studs, I won series (Heath)
2010 Brendan fatbikefest & series
2011 Brendan fatbikefest, Jack series
2012 Brendan fatbikefest, I won series again (Heath)
2013 anyone's game, especially if we get a real Winter!!!!!!

Old Trophies. King of the Hill & OA Series

Medicine Hat. Hope to be back for Catfish#3 or maybe I'm over-the-hill

3 comments:

Larry Sauber said...

Whatyoumean. I was 3 weeks after you and Habs. That night at Leban.

Coldbear said...

I know there is some confusion over who one the very first fat race. There was no sep catagory for skinny and fat. The fats got a 2 min head start. I was riding my arrowhead bike with the double wide snowcat rims with a 2.4 tire. hollywood and tim chuck took the hole shot and I had to pass to gain lead. I caught and passed pirate, stoner and the rest on purple prides. I was probably in the best shape of my life. I trained harder that winter than I ever have. The way I remember it there was no sep awards for the purple bikes. 1 week earlier I was on the arrowhead ground begging for my life. the next week I was having fun racing at the first ever winter race in Elkriver. Now to my surprise they named the race after me for the next year. I am humbled and proud to be apart of this great winter activity. Signed Coldbear.

HEATH said...

Jeff- oh yeah. I knew the race was named after you Colbert. I missed that race itself. I didn't have fatbike then anyhow. I just remember all the fun we had with your name once we learned you survived the cold and all. Yeah, I by no means know who all the first riddlers we're. Fun to chatter about. Keep the hammer going this year. Sauber, your right Habs gets no purple point.