I had a good race again. 4th. I tell ya fast 45+ CX guys are a dime a dozen (different than MTB). This being my second year I'm finally starting to recognize who's who. Sunday wasn't too busy but straight away I saw Michael Phillips, John Thompson and Gregory Goblirsch. I learned who Scott Robertson is. Paul Schoening was there but as race director didn't race day 2.
The course was really fun for a CX. Ha! To start race a straight away on grass, hairpin, straight, hairpin, barriers, long pathway straight away and up really nice sized tar path climb, hairpin, down hill off camber fast grass sweeper, tar path segment, a super sketch 15ft sandy spree up and down a wall (most ran it), and more grass sweepers, large sand playground to run through, a steep lump to suffer up with SS, more fast grass, baseball diamond, hairpin, creek crossing, a maze and start over. Whew. Yeah CX!! Good variety and competition ahead and behind kept me on the gas all day.
Off the start Mike and I we're head to head. I didn't fight as near the front was all I wanted so I could draft a fast guy down long path to hill. Mike was my guy. I chased, didn't feel like drafting though with 44x17 gearing (very fast speeds). I could feel another guy close. Up the curved path climb we we're moving. I saw Mike tubulars almost rolling...no wonder why he slowed. John went by me (I was in third), I almost passed but kept cool. As we descended the sweeper Mike was seemingly cautious, John went around and I tried to follow but tar path just ahead made it a bit silly to pass so early (risk). I looked back on tar segment, the three of us had a gap. I stayed on Mike and John's pace all the way around and through sand pit. Finally on super steep lump my SS was a grinding, Scott Robertson went by.
I stayed on all 3 of them but eventually fell off just a bit. Especially after my reverse, 180, over the maze barrier..... Yep, pants stuck in seat, could not lift bike, falling forward, had to reverse bike football move and step over barrier backwards un-hooking bike from shorts and then pulling bike merry go round behind me. It was smooth, seriously. Catfish gang was cheering and laughing big time. Thanks bros, I meant to do that so smoothly.
I stayed on all 3 of them but eventually fell off just a bit. Especially after my reverse, 180, over the maze barrier..... Yep, pants stuck in seat, could not lift bike, falling forward, had to reverse bike football move and step over barrier backwards un-hooking bike from shorts and then pulling bike merry go round behind me. It was smooth, seriously. Catfish gang was cheering and laughing big time. Thanks bros, I meant to do that so smoothly.
So that was it, I chased and watched John reel back in Scott. Then I was gaining on Scott for two final laps. Gregory and another unknown rider we’re falling farther behind me but chasing. Gregory was the guy I couldn’t take over for the win at JR Ranch. Anyway, I was reeling Scott in slowly however ended 10 seconds behind him? I was pretty close and saw 2nd place just ahead too! Good day. I thought one of the guys ahead was 55+ but was wrong. I ended 4th, not bad! Fun!! Fast race. Next weekend is a big CX weekend. Looks like I have my work cut out for me as my call up is row 2 or 3. See you there…
Cat3 Video of Course
1 comment:
I really like the video! ! I will send it to all my friends!
Post a Comment