Monday, January 5

2hr 15m of Hillside Race -0 Degrees F’

2 winter laps at Hillside in "0" degree Fahrenheit weather. Good times, who knew. To remember I’m going to write a bit more. PRE-RACE: 10:00AM arrival. Wandered between car and fire. Layers & duct tape heat pack process avoidance tactics in play. Cold out. Repeat, cold. Said hello to Pramann. He mentioned, “do Arrowhead135.” Ha! I shared I’m too nervous. I was wondering to myself, “I'm going to race today?” After some hello’s between car & fire warm ups layer prep began. I proceeded to drip nasal spray in my eyes. WHOOPS, no wonder it stung! The other little bottle worked, ah eyes better. Next was blistex on nose, ears, face, & forehead. Whew, got that right. Upon stuffing the mitts in camelback fluids started spewing all over the car. I couldn’t shut off because heat packs & duct tape kept water valve open. Crap. Still Cold! Decided to drink a lot more. After some additional tard water spill decided to bag fluids on trail. It was going to freeze anyway. 36oz of water mixed with ½ scoop heed & ½ perp down the hatch. Five minute warm-up didn’t work. Three toe warmers for each foot wrapped in duct tape was comforting as was thick neck gator. No glasses or goggles as they just fog in a slogfest. Ready; 3 gels in pocket, no water & no warm-up. My internal thoughts we’re, I’m lean, light & ready to hike-a-bike. THE REAL SITUATION AHEAD: A full 2 laps on 3 inches fresh snow over semi-ice base. A couple non-LCR however mainly LCR goofs/buds out to torture each other. Zilla had 5/8 studs and Colbert 3/8 protrusion on normal pug tires. Patterson 2.6 or so Klondike’s on pug like rims. The rest had normal pugs. Miller ran 29’er 32x20 skinny. Yup, 0 degrees & sunny. Future un-known. THE RACE: Colbert took the bait & passed me just before trail entrance for lead out. I wanted to go in 2nd or 3rd. It was bound to be hike-a-bike with many lead changes. Colbert & Zilla with studs we’re gripping much much better. I hiked/ran much more on first lap than 2nd. Anyway, once Colbert got tired Zilla passed us on a climb, then we chased. And Chased. Coldbert fell back and I chased, and chased. I caught Zilla for good in sec4. Zilla was scoring points on all obstacles and teeter alike. Fresh tracks to witness. I was obligated to take the long skinny near end of lap 1. Zilla followed. No point. Frickin good times. Lap 2 was tough on skinny tire mayhem. I offered lead over but Zilla said I’m ok. Tired of leading I threatened to crash, he threatened to spike ramp me, I threatened to crash real bad off trail, but it didn’t happen. After a full lap together Zilla fell back (section 4). I finished race for a win without Colbert, Jimmay or Pramann sneaking up. Zilla had the race - instead bonked!! Coldbert & Jimmay had good showing, heck just finishing…...what an event. Feet warm, neck gator was off & on face, layers worked, no gels used, no bonk AND did I mention it was ZERO DEGREES F outside!!!!! results

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lothar is one kooky fella!

BRRRRRRR!!!!!
xx

HEATH said...

Oh Tee Awl always more ends to the spectrum, kooky. Seriously?
http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/
check it. Hero.
thanks red