Wednesday, September 20

New to Hillside

Last night I raced Hillside. It was my first time there. The course is Buck Hill like and fast. The sand holes, sticks and debris on trail made it mayham. I was sliding all over for a bit. Then I got my act together. Loved it. Other than the road sections its a SS course for sure (more on SS in a bit). The experts went out in two waves. Tom Miller, Luke Nelson and others we're in my wave. The first section was about a 1/3 mile road out and back to start line, then into woods. I took off and noticed myself and Luke in front. For a second I think he wanted me to lead, no way. Ha in that split second I had a strategy, follow at the start. Me with a strategy, ha ha ha. It ended up Luke, Tom and I racing for the gate turn around. I was on Tom's wheel with little effort was able to hang on, drafting. At the turn around Luke (1st) asked if this was the turn around. The whole wave was there by now and we all skidded, 180'ed and headed back. It was me and some other guy heading back first. I was leading and not happy about it. Then Tom reved up, I tried to pre-gas to enable hang on but he had it gunned before I could respond. I never caught him, I tried! As Tom and I headed for the start line woods entry Tom got into a head-on. Seriously, we we're going 20 easy and little did we know, the sport guys we're heading right at us. We couldn't see them until on the corner. BAM. I saw Tom fan tail out and Clayton (on-coming) go OTB. It was car crash crunch sounds, tire pop'n air fizzzzzlin out w/peeps on the ground type sceene. All riders we're deer in headlights with jaws a hanging open. Freak'n crazy high speed head-on. It looked like every one was ok, so I started pedaling again. Tom was just getting back on his bike and chased. Luke was in third. dang Charlie Brown. I lead for a half lap with many trailing close enough I could see'em on switchbacks (hearing them coming too). Fun stuff. Soon enough Luke and Tom passed. I couldn't hold on. The rest of the race (for a lap and a half) I held off a sqeaky brake, super tall guy on a SS. Yeah, every time I gapped him he came back!! Just me and him racing for third. Great race, he was on me the whole time, finally near the end I passed many sport riders and really pounded hard. Third in the wave was mine. It wasn't until the final awards did I find out my wave third was good enough for third overall. Wahoo. Side notes: it's been 5 weeks since Leadville 100, last night was the first time I could push AND then felt sore/worked afterward. I drained my deep reserves, it was a feeling I haven't had since early season races. I think that means I've weakened over the last 5 lazy weeks, and/or finally recovered and/or ready to build again. Transition over....we'll too bad, not building anymore, season almost over, it's just fun now. Hernia op Dec 1. Looking forward to mammoth joy rides, night races and murphy? Not doing St. Cloud. C-YA

No comments: